Saturday, August 4, 2007

Apparently

I was going to write about the miraculous victory of the Infrared Sox over the Nutbags on thursday, but I got scooped by ellie, so I will just give you the short version:

So there we were at Clearfield Park 5 minutes before game time, and I took a quick head count. Only 7. We have a rather large roster, and I knew coach, the tommer, and Dave would not be there. So that left Joe, Alex, Mike, Andrew, Harvey, Tai, Sheldon, and Michael were all unaccounted for. They were instructed by coach to email me if they could not make the game. They did not, so I expected and hoped one or two, preferable three of them would show up. I told the ump how many we had, and he was worried about losing daylight, so he said we could bat first then, and hope people came while we were up. I made a line up, which wasn't hard with only 7, but then had to assign positions, which was harder since I had to tell John that he would play first, second and right field.
John led off, swung at the first pitch, and promptly was declared out after grounding out. So much for stalling to let the other show up I thought. Someone called Joe and found out that he was having diner. With one out we rallied in the first inning to score 5 runs. The Nutbag's pitcher was throwing with very little arch which made it extremely easy to hit line drives.
So at the bottom of the first we took the field, and one of the guys asked if his girlfriend could catch for us. Now it is a mens league, and the director of the league was playing on the other team with his son. I thought for sure the ump would say no, and disqualify us after having only our second lead of the season. The ump didn't care, so Lindsay wearing her sandals stepped up, and ended up getting on base at every at bat (2 fielder choices and a walk). Amazingly we played well, and only having two outfielders didn't really hurt us all that badly. So the game ball went to lindsay and the Infrared Sox had their first win of the season.

The other thing that I realized after stumbling on to an article from cherkyB's site is that I use the word apparently way to much. It is a great word for describing almost any situation, like: Apparently I am not supposed to forget about my cereal bowl, and leave it on the counter when the dishwasher is 3/4's empty. But I do use that word too much, which I will try to diminish.

5 comments:

ellie said...

I don't mind if you leave the cereal bowl in the sink. It was just interesting that it was the first time you had done it since we started using the dishwasher. Apparently, I may have read too much into it. . .

Anonymous said...

Apparently you have not yet resolved the issue of the cereal bowl vs dishwasher. Frankly, who gives a rats ass if it is left in the sink or not. Apparently ellie seems to be obsessed with the cereal bowl. It is apparent to me that you two have an issue - have you considered counseling?

ellie said...

Apparently, you are just jealous because D__ had cereal.

CherkyB said...

Apparently, moving in with a neat freak is, like all you can drink PBR's, a double-edged sword.

CherkyB said...

Like, so did you lose your AdSense, too?

And maybe you need a readership drive so that more than 3 people read this. I can make you blog of the week, but only if you can post once a day for at least a week.